NAIL SALON WORKERS WAGE AND HOUR RIGHTS
HOURS WORKED: • You must be paid for all work performed whether or not the employer approves the work in advance. • This includes time spent in training, traveling from site to site during the day, and any work performed
MINIMUM WAGE AND DEDUCTIONS:
• You must be paid at least the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour.
• Even if you are paid by the day or at a piece rate, your total wages must amount to at least the federal minimum wage for each hour worked.
• Your employer may make deductions for job-related expenses such as uniforms, equipment rentals, or tools but such deductions cannot reduce your pay below the federal minimum hourly wage.
• Some state laws require higher minimum wages and greater employee protections; employers must comply with those laws as well as the federal rules described here.
• Generally, you must be paid 1-½ times your regular rate of pay after 40 hours of work in a seven-day workweek.
• Employers are required to keep accurate records of all their employees’ daily and weekly hours worked and wages paid.
• You should keep your own records of your work hours and wages, and your employer’s name, address, and phone number. It is illegal for your employer to fire you or retaliate against you in any way for contacting us or exercising your rights. If you believe your rights have been violated or you have any questions, call us at 1-866-487-9243. We can assist you in your language. Our services are free and confidential.